Thursday 5 January 2012

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

Over the Christmas holidays I read as much as I could before I was thrust back into the hectic world of work.

I had wanted to read much more than I did in the end, but there is only so much you can absorb in 10 days. I also did want to talk to my friends and family over Christmas too.

One of the books I was most looking forward to reading was The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson. And although it was very good, it was lot more rapey than I thought it would be.



Although I have heard a lot about the book, most recently because of the Hollywood film with Daniel Craig hitting the cinemas, I didn't really know what to expect.

Being a journalist I found the beginning quite interesting as publisher Mikael Blomkvist was being tried in court for libel for saying bad things about a millionaire and not quite having the evidence to back it up.

After stepping down from his job he ends up playing detective in a small village trying to find out the mystery behind a missing girl.

The story and the mystery of the crime is really good, but all the sex for no meaning and then the descriptions of the rape of the girl with the dragon tattoo, or Lisbeth Salander, did help for the reader to get an understand of why she is like how she is. But when you are sitting there counting down to the New Year surrounded by family reading about her rape was weird.

That may be my own fault for choosing to read the book. But I also read the latest Dexter book surrounded by my family and every page is practically a description of dismemberment and hacking bodies apart but it just didn't sit right with The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.

Overall very good - but might wait a while to read the next two books.

Photo: tantillus via Flickr

No comments:

Post a Comment