Sunday 19 February 2012

Dressing up war

The new series of period drama, Upstairs, Downstairs started tonight. Despite it all being terribly posh and now with Alex Kingston, who I can't stand, I felt compelled to watch it.


I am a fan of classic literature and learning about the past through fiction, but as some pointed out whilst I was watching the show. There was a focus on Nazis and Hitler, and this seems to be a theme when thinking about making a period drama. Foyle's War and Land Girls just two recent shows that come to mind now.

I suppose it is an attractive time to write about because it is so well documented with millions of stories to tell. Also as an educational benefit more people should know what happened during the Second World War and what Hitler did. A television show about posh people showing the hardship of war is easier going in comparison to a documentary about Hitler.

But this is not why I was drawn to it. I was drawn to it for the same reason that I love watching shows like Poirot. The dressing up. Marvelling at the amount of costume changes a well to do person can make, especially when they have been told to stay in bed. Then comparing this to what the ordinary folk are wearing, and realising that you would prefer to wear what the ordinary folk are wearing because it takes less effort.

It might be dealing with something serious but it has something beautiful for the eyes too.

Photo: BBC

No comments:

Post a Comment