Friday 3 February 2012

The Good, the Bad and the Multiplex

So I have finally gone and done it. I have found the time to read a book. It only took an evening as well.

The book in question is film critic Mark Kermode's latest offering The Good, the Bad and the Multiplex. Although it is a book it was easily devoured in an evening because it felt more like having a chat with Kermode down the pub about his love of cinema. Although there wasn't a really a chance for the reader to talk back or disagree, but I have a funny feeling that is what would happen anyway.


I mean if you did happen to be in the pub with Kermode you would talk about cinema, only a mad man would decide that this was the time to find out his opinion on German fiscal policy. And if you did disagree would you tell him? Or would you let him continue with an anecdote about when he was interviewing Spielberg or when he found out the truth behind those "This is the best movie you will ever see" movie poster quotes?

The book would only really appeal to you if you have a fondness for Kermode, whose rants are similar to those of Charlie Brooker's but with a focus on cinema, or if you have a passion for film.

I fall into the category of enjoying Kermode's rants, my favourite in the book being a short review of the film The Animal (never seen it myself) which said "an appalling affair which made me understand how a fox can chew its own leg off in order to escape a hideous ordeal of entrapment".

The book covers a range of topics for Kermode to get angry about and equally excited like popcorn (an angry topic) to a bicycle powered film festival (an excitable topic). Throughout the book you also get the sense that he has a bizarre job and consequently a weird life, but seems very normal and down to earth. Ignoring the fanatical knowledge of films. But everyone has a hobby and I am sure his family have learnt to tune him out when he gets into one of his usual rants.

But the thing I have always liked about Kermode is, yes he gets angry, but he equally gets passionate. And he isn't a boring film critic who likes the powerful, Oscar tipped films because everything we do in life should have a meaning. No, he enjoys the Twilight films, is a fan of Zac Efron and cries at The Sound of Music.

His writing makes me realise what I have missed out on from not being a regular cinema goer. I mean to change that each time I read or listen to him, but secretly know that I will not. This means my cinema experience is sitting down in the evening and catching up with Kermode has written of late and for that I am grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment